- We need to forgive people who are truly ignorant of their sins.
- If someone repents we are obligated to forgive them.
- Repentance includes sorrow, restoration, recompense.
- If someone does not repent, we are obliged to confront and rebuke them.
- If someone refuses to repent after confrontation, there is a process that needs to be followed through until the end.
- If someone does not repent at the end of the process, they are handed over to God. for vengeance, we are forbidden to take vengeance ourselves on the unrepentant.
- God stands with the victim, not the perpetrator of the offense.
- God’s goal is reconciliation of persons but this reconciliation can not happen without repentance.
Sunday, May 19, 2013
Biblical teaching on forgiveness
Someone asked me to summarize my theology of forgiveness.
Posted by Doug's Theology BLOG at 9:33 AM